Topic: The ethics of trial by media
@MBAINCORPORATED // Michael Motsoeneng Bill read law at the University of Johannesburg and is an admitted attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
Michael is the founder and director of Motsoeneng Bill Attorneys Incorporated which is a law firm offering various legal services with a particular bias to commercial law, labour law and administrative law.
As an attorney, he has been involved in thousands of legal matters for both corporate and individual clients and in some matters that have attracted a great deal of public interest including the legal dispute pertaining to:
- The classification of “The Spear” painting by Brett Murray, which was a painting depicting the genitals of President Jacob Zuma;
- The classification of the film “Of Good Report”. This is a film that was banned owing to the view that it contained child pornography;
- The launch of pornographic channels by Top TV, now StarSat;
- The use of Spectrum by Screamer Telecommunications;
- The Provision set-top boxes used for the broadcasting migration from analogue to digital; and
- The ceasing of spectrum equipment belonging to IBurst.
Michael is a regular face and voice on various media platforms and one of a select number of legal experts currently providing commentary on the State vs. Oscar Pistorius trial on the specialized DSTV channel, Oscar Pistorius Channel 199. He has a radio show on Kaya FM, called the “Law Report with Michael Motsoeneng Bill”. It is a unique weekly slot that translates complex legal arguments and issues into a comprehensible public conversation.
Michael has appeared as a contributor on Power FM, SABC 2 Morning Live, E-TV Ekse Lets Talk and Dumisa TV, eNCA and on international media including RTE, Good Morning Ireland and Chinese News Channel. He has also written some articles on various media on legal issues.